Dr. Freeman A. Hrabowski III, the celebrated, longtime president of UMBC, will be visiting Washington College in October as the inaugural speaker in the Inclusive Excellence Speaker Series organized by our colleague Dr. Alisha Knight, Associate Provost of Diversity and Inclusion.
The lecture, “Culture Change for Inclusive Excellence,” will be Tuesday, October 18, at 5:30 pm in Decker, Gibson Center for the Arts.
At 3:30 pm that afternoon (October 18), Dr. Hrabowski will be meeting with campus leadership for a discussion of his recent book (with Philip J. Rous and Peter H. Henderson), The Empowered University: Shared Leadership, Culture Change, and Academic Success. The Cromwell Center for Teaching and Learning is proud to collaborate with Dr. Knight and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion in co-hosting the book discussion. The discussion will be held in the Faculty Lounge in Hodson Hall (lower level). Space for the October in-person book discussion will be limited, but interested faculty, staff, students and Board members may attend via Zoom.
We have selected The Empowered University as one of our books in our ongoing No-Fuss Book Club for the fall semester. You can read the book in an electronic edition available through the Miller Library catalog; or you can pick up a hard copy from Bunting while they last. We will host an initial discussion of the book in September before the visit and a follow-up discussion in November after the visit.
- September Book Discussions of The Empowered University
- 9/28, Wednesday: Zoom. 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- 9/29, Thursday: Faculty Lounge. 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- October. Dr. Hrabowski visits Washington College for the Inclusive Excellence Speaker Series.
- 10/18, Tuesday: 5:30 pm. Public Lecture. Decker Theater, Gibson Center for the Arts.
- November Book Discussions of The Empowered University
- 11/2, Wednesday: Faculty Lounge. 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- 11/3, Thursday: Zoom 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
Changes in the culture of teaching and learning at UMBC are a centerpoint of Dr. Hrabowski’s narrative. We look forward to discussing the insights and implications of these changes as we continue to develop one of the focal points of our mission at the Cromwell CTL, fostering inclusivity.
- Faculty interested in reading The Empowered University, stop by Bunting to pick up a copy. You can also check out an electronic copy of the book available through the Miller Library catalog.
- Dr. Hrabowski’s TED Talk on “The Four Pillars of College Success in Science,” also discussed in the book.
- Podcast discussion with Alan Alda, “The University that Multiplies Genius.”
- Recent NY Times article on Dr. Hrabowski.
- October 2022 MLK Commemorative Lecture Dr. Hrabowski delivered at Harvard.